Reading & Phonics
Reading - Intent
We want children to have a passion for reading, experience a literacy-rich environment, high quality texts and inspiring learning opportunities, which will help them to:
- Gain a life-long enjoyment of reading and books.
- Read accurately, fluently and with understanding;
- Apply a knowledge of structured synthetic phonics in order to decode unfamiliar words with increasing accuracy and speed;
- Be able to read with expression, clarity and confidence;
- Develop a good linguistic knowledge of vocabulary and grammar;
- Read and respond to a wide range of different types of texts;
- Develop a deeper level of emotional intelligence and empathy;
- Read fluently, and with confidence, in any subject in their forthcoming secondary education.
Reading - Implementation
‘Reading for pleasure is the single most important indicator of a child’s success.’ (OECD 2002)
Reading at Weeke Primary School is such a significant part of the school culture and daily learning for our children. For our implementation to be fully understood please use the links below to direct you to the right place.
Reading Progression at Weeke
Reading - Impact
All pupils will be able to read with accuracy, speed, confidence, fluency and understanding, ready to access the secondary school curriculum. All pupils will make at least good progress from their starting points. We are extremly proud of our children's achievements and the high quality teaching that lead pupils to making well above average progress compared to National outcomes. Most importantly, pupils will develop a life-long enjoyment of reading and books.